Your answer should be 1-2 pages in length; 12-pt Times New Roman; double spaced. Spelling, capitalization and word usage should be accurate to receive full credit. You MUST include a Works Cited page and cite ALL sources. MLA or Chicago formats are fine. Please ask theif you need help!
EITHER OR: _____________________________________________________________________
1.on the music of Herrmann in Vertigo. Click to go to the reading.
ANSWER: How does Herrmann use ostinato – what effect does this compositional technique create in the viewer?
2. Find the clip “Kim Novak in Vertigo (1958)”
a. Watch this clip TWICE! First with NO SOUND, second time WITH SOUND!
b. ANSWER: What information does the music give you about the characters that you would not know otherwise (there is no dialogue in this scene).
3. Find the clip “Vertigo (10/11) Movie CLIP – Judy Becomes Madeleine (1958)” on the
a. Watch the entire clip.
b. ANSWER: How does Herrmann’s music work in this scene? At what point in the action does the music reach its climax? How is this reflected in the visual (the lighting effects in particular?)
1.for Pederecki and the music of The Shining. Click to go to that reading.
2.. Who was Penderecki? How would you characterize his music? Who was Stanley Kubrick? How would you characterize his films?
3. What was the relationship between Penderecki and director Kubrick? Was there a relationship? How did Kubrick come to use Pederecki’s music for his film?
4. Watch the clips “The Shining (3/7) Movie CLIP – All Work and No Play (1980) HD” & “The Shining – Bat Scene”.
4. Describe the music as the action progresses in the scene. How does the music underscore the action? How does the music establish mood in the scene? You don’t need to use very technical terms to describe the music – general is fine (fast, slow, sharp, frenetic, etc).